Thursday, December 21, 2006

Movie Review: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont


Robin Lee Hatcher recommended the DVD of "Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont," so I watched it . . . and loved it. The photo is of the book (with photos of the movie actors), and I thought it was interesting that the book was written by Elizabeth Taylor--who, I'm assuming, is not the movie star.
In any case, the story is about a restless widow who goes to live at the Claremont Hotel in London--a slightly seedy hotel where old folks go to . . . vegetate, mostly, until Mrs. Palfrey arrives and befriends a restless young man. These two form a real friendship, and each helps the other in unforgettable ways.
Joan Plowright plays Mrs. Palfrey, and she's wonderful. (Mom, this would be a good one for the next time you and your sisters have a sleep over.)
So--Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont. Lovely and literary. Enjoy.
P.S. Thank you for the many birthday wishes. It feels great to be forty-eight . . . plus one. :-)
~~Angie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I love Joan Plowright! Thanks for the recommendation, I'll see if my library has this one!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Joan Plowright is terrific. Be sure and see "Enchanted April." She has a wonderful part in that excellent movie too.

Thanks for recommending this. I will watch it with my wife over the holidays....if I can find it.

And, no, this Elizabeth Taylor is not the actress. She was a rather popular British author in the mid 20th century. The reference book I have in my office says she was part of the "English tradition of 'novels of sensibility.'"