Thursday, April 26, 2012

Equal time for cats!

Because another volunteer was shooting dogs today, I went down to the cat area to photograph some cats that didn't have pictures.  (Yes, I have been trained for cats, too.)  :-)

Because it was my first time photographing cats, I was grateful that no one else was around.  I would carefully take a cat from its pen, take it into the small room where I had my stuff spread all over, and then chase the cat around the room while yelling, "Sit! Sit!"  Sometimes I whistled, sometimes I said, "Kitty, kitty," but most of the time the first words that sprang to my lips were "Sit! Please!"

Apparently the trick to photographing cats is to lie flat on the floor OR stand above them with a pretty blanket or something on the ground. I know that some older cats will sit in a chair (I know this only because I've seen lots of pictures of demure older cats curled up in chairs), but none of the cats I snapped today were inclined to do anything but run around the room like wildcats.  :-)

Don't get me wrong--they were very sweet.  That little darling, Scootch (who I think has been adopted already!) purred the entire time he was with me.  The orange tabby wanted only to curl up in my lap--which, while heartwarming, does not make for a good picture.

In any case, I now present my first cat photos.  I hope to do more, and I hope to learn not to yell "Sit, Sit!" as I chase after them.  Trust me, it does no good.  :-)

P.S.  In case my agent or editor is reading this, YES, I am still working on my book. And yes, I'm still on schedule.  :-)













4 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

Awww. I'll just take them all. Well, not right now because I have a very territorial senior cat. We got a new puppy from a shelter two weeks ago and the cat has decided she can stay if she minds her own business and stays out of the way. But a new cat? Never.

Anonymous said...

These are terrific, Angie! The little black one looks sooooo like my fur babies! Kudos to you for taking such darling pictures the first time around. To paraphrase a popular saying, "Snapping photos of cats is like trying to nail Jello to a tree." Clyde

Anonymous said...

Now THOSE are some good lookin' models! Glad to see that you are advancing your art form! ;)
-Kat

Debby said...

Angie,
I've loved watching for your dog/puppy pictures - you do such a great job. But oh my goodness, I think you've found your niche! I have to laugh at picturing you saying "sit, sit" to cats!!!! But these pictures are so very precious. You did a great job girl!