Saturday, December 10, 2005

Books that Matter . . . in some way


A friend and I were having an email discussion about Myers-Briggs and how some of us are wired or bent to feel more comfortable writing in certain genres and touching certain topics . . .

And I read a piece about Brett Lott, and I finished his book that’s a retelling of Ruth/Naomi last – (it was lovely).

I’ve also been thinking a lot about the insistent trend to tell stories that simply have a Christian worldview . . .

And all of the above reminds me of a story I once heard Karen Kingsbury tell about her children. Seems Kelsey and Tyler were in the car as the family was coming home from church after just hearing a rip-snorting fire and brimstone sermon. Kelsey was giving it to young Tyler in the back seat. “Where do you want to do?” she asked him. “Heaven or hell, Tyler, where do you want to go?”

At which point Tyler pulled out his pacifier and said, “Disneyland.”

I can’t dispute that we are all wired differently . . . and I’m grateful for those differences. But rather than wed ourselves to a genre or to a certain kind of book, I think the story dictates whether we take the reader to heaven, hell, or Disneyland. (VBG)

Last year I wrote a story that’s as hellfire-and-brimstone as anything I’ve ever written. I am contracted to do a series that definitely focuses on heaven. And who knows but that I’ll want to write a Disneyland book in the coming year or two.

But earthly time is too short to squander on stories that do not illuminate or edify or instruct in some way. I know that the Spirit of God can use anything, but I also know that he chooses to use us and we are responsible to be witnesses to the truth.

How do you interpret that responsibility? If you knew you could only read or write ONE more book, what would you like it to say?

Angie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"But earthly time is too short to squander on stories that do not illuminate or edify or instruct in some way. I know that the Spirit of God can use anything, but I also know that he chooses to use us and we are responsible to be witnesses to the truth."

Okay, now don't bother me for the next hour cuz I'm just gonna sit here and savor these words. Thanks so much, Angie, for doing just that -- witnessing to the Truth. All I can add is an amen.

: )
donna fleisher

Anonymous said...

"But earthly time is too short to squander...."
_____

An "amen" from this corner, too, Angie. As for what I'd want to say: I think I'd want to find a way to tell every reader who picks up the book--"God loves you. Really, really loves you...and you...and you...and you...and there's absolutely nothing you can do to change that. Just take it into your heart and let it change your life. Because it will."

BJ

C.J. Darlington said...

BJ - you echo my heart. I wasn't sure how to put it into words, but my desire is to share God's love through my writing with every hurting person I can.

Anonymous said...

What one thing? The easy thing to do is rarely the right one.