Friday, December 30, 2005

Elevators and charts and Friday, oh my!


While I was researching elevators, I ran across this account from a guy who was trapped in an elevator. If this is one of your fears (Joyce, I'm talking to you), maybe this guy's hilarious account will help you rethink your dread--if dread is a thing that can be reasoned through. In any case, the guy is a good writer and his story is entertaining.

http://masthead.blogspot.com/2005/02/in-which-i-am-trapped.html

Yesterday I updated my Excel chart for THE ELEVATOR, the WIP. The Excel chart functions as a timeline for my editor when the work is finished, but it also helps me see the entire novel at a glance as I'm writing it. I color code the rows according to POV, and the columns (chapter, POV, date/time, place, action, weather, etc) help me keep track of details at a glance.

In any case, now that I am nearing the end, I have reached the ENDING, which I usually don't really know until I get there. I mean, I have an idea of the final scene and I know who survives and who doesn't, but how to get there is the big question.

So--today I am pressing on toward the end, aided by my handy dandy Excel chart.

Happy Friday!

Angie

1 comment:

Dianne said...

That is hilarious! Yep, I'm slightly claustrophobic so being stuck in an elevator would kind of freak me out. Someone thought it was funny to lock me in a utility closet in college late one night; they regretted it once they heard my panicked screams! I hope your characters are not like me!