Tuesday, January 09, 2007

From the news desk . . .


Now that we've completed another BOM cycle (and I hope the change of pace was enjoyable--I certainly enjoyed looking at those children's books again), let's go to the new clippings that have been piling up on my desk.


From the American Dialect Society--"Plutoed" has been chosen as Word of the Year. (Didn't we just hear that another group picked "truthiness" as Word of the Year?) In case you haven't heard, to "pluto" is to "demote or devalue someone or something," referring, of course, to the fact that Pluto is no longer considered a planet.


"Plutoed" won in a runoff against "climate canary" (An organism or species whose poor health or declining numbers hint at a larger environmental catastrophe on the horizon). Other words considered: murse (a man's purse), flog (a fake blog that promotes products), and macaca (a U.S. citizen treated as an alien). You have to know a bit of Spanish to "get" that last one, but I do and I do. :-(


Since apparently anyone and everyone can nominate a word of the year, I think I'll join the game. My word? (Goodness, so many to choose from!) Okay: notorious. (I choose this because I see it used incorrectly all over the place.) To be notorious is to be famous for doing something BAD. It is not a compliment.
More news later . . .
Have a great day!
~~Angie

No comments: