Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep . . .


God is so good. We are having a great time up here at Glen Eyrie, and we're discovering some wonderful writers. Megan DiMaria (you'll be hearing from her real soon, I'm sure), told me about an organization called "Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep." Wow--not only is this an incredible concept, but it was exactly what I needed for my novel-in-progress.

The idea is this--professional photographers volunteer to take pictures of babies who have either died or who will not live long. These are beautiful pictures that can stay with a family so a grieving mother and father will have a lovely remembrance of their child.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so why don't you check out their slide show at www.nowIlaymedowntosleep.org .

It's amazing. When an older person or child dies, the family has lots of memories and photographs . . . but when an infant dies, often the grief-stricken parents are too stunned to think about such things. Later, when they are asked how many children they have . . . well, you can see where I'm going. Parents need photos of these precious babies in their homes because those children, though they may have lived only an hour or a day or two, are part of that family.

My hat is off and my heart is humbled by these caring photographers. What an incredible service and thoughtful idea.

An aside--it's supposed to SNOW here today! The high is only thirty-something degrees, but the forecast calls for sun tomorrow. That's good--because my family is ready to see me again. :-)

Have a lovely day!

P.S. The photo is of Kathy Mackel, who writes "Christian chillers." Fitting, no? :-)

Angie

3 comments:

Caitriona said...

Angie,
I am not getting old just because I had to break out the reading glasses to read your post. Glad to hear you are having fun in Colorado. (A place I haven't visited yet but surely want to.) Thanks for sharing about the caring photos.
CM

Kari said...

Love this idea as we lost our preemie son just 5 days after his birth. I am so greatful for all the pictures we have of Dylan! Thanks for sharing this idea!

Southern-fried Fiction said...

What a powerful ministry. Wow! And the photo of Kathy is definitely fitting. ;)