Thursday, June 14, 2007

Florida Stories


When I travel, particularly overseas, I find that people love to hear Florida stories. They are amazed that yes, many of us Floridians do have orange and grapefruit trees growing RIGHT IN OUR OWN YARDS! And yes, the state is home to more than two million alligators, which aren't that hard to find and often come calling. And yes, they do occasionally eat people, dogs, and anything else that ventures too close to the water.

Stories less often told involve sturgeon. I was trying to remember the name of this fish on our cruise, and a story in today's paper reminded me. Sturgeon. They are big, prehistoric-looking fish that can grow to over 200 pounds (that's the weight of one of my dogs!), and they have this inexplicable tendency to leap out of the water. Trouble is, they often leap into boats and hit people, and some have died as a result.

For instance, just this past weekend, a leaping sturgeon jumped out of the water and struck a woman in a boat. Tara Spears, 32, was knocked unconscious but was not seriously injured. In 2006, eight people were injured by sturgeon on various rivers (these are fresh water fish).

Last year, I think it was, a man's heart was pierced by a barb on one of these monster fish, and he had to ride with his grandchildren back to shore.

Maybe I should set all of my books in Florida. There are enough incredible stories around here to make anyone's fiction interesting--and they're true!

P.S. Speaking of Florida stories . . . I have just signed some paperwork that puts THE ELEVATOR well on its way to becoming a LIFETIME TV MOVIE! Pretty cool, huh?

~~Angie

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angie, that rocks. I'll cross some bits for you :) or pray for God's will, or something :)

Angela said...

Thanks, Susan!

Angie

Anonymous said...

Wow! Congrats on the lifetime movie. How cool!!

Megan DiMaria said...

Woo hoo. Congratulations! You go, Angie.

A prisoner of hope,
Megan

Christina Tarabochia said...

Awesome, Angie! Lifetime is so lucky they could get you! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Angie, I finished reading The Elevator last night. I couldn't sleep until I knew the ending. It was great! I kept thinking,"What an exciting movie this would be." Can't wait to see it on Lifetime.

Kay Day said...

Cool fish!
I may have to start watching Lifetime! Didn't you say something about Uncharted being a movie, too?
I can't wait to read The Elevator. I already have nightmares about those! LOL

Anonymous said...

how exciting! please let us know when it will be aired! can't wait to see it!
and, by the way, is "the note" still coming to a theater near us?
hope so!

Anonymous said...

Just want to add my congratulations to those above. How exciting! A movie on Lifetime that is actually worth watching!!! And I add my query also to those above about other Hunt books-to-screen. I know these things take more time than those of us with no patience have!!! Also, has Netflix been alerted??? =) Clyde

Jan Parrish said...

I can't imagine *living* with allogators. I hope you include them in one of your books! Yikes.