Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Global Warming


I have to admit--I have greeted all reports of global warming with a rolling of the eye, especially since reading STATE OF FEAR by Michael Crichton. Yes, I know it's a novel, but the man did his research, and he did a great job of making his case. 
Bottom line:  I believe the study of climate change is so big and vast and covers so many ages that only a handful of people on this planet are capable of understanding the subject.  I'm not one of them . . . but neither are a lot of other people who are spouting off warnings about global warming.
Furthermore, and even more to the point, I don't believe man controls this planet. Scripture tells me he doesn't. We are to be good stewards of the earth--I'm all for personal responsibility--but I really don't believe we have the power to effect climate change.

I found this in the October 25th Wall Street Journal.

John Christy is a member of the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (and co-recipient of this year's Nobel Peace Prize), and in this interview he responds to questions put forth by CNN anchor Miles O'Brien:

O'Brien: I assume you're not happy about sharing this award with Al Gore. You going to renounce it in some way?

Christy: Well, as a scientist at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, I always thought that--I may sound like the Grinch who stole Christmas here--that prizes were given for performance, and not for promotional activities.

And when I look at the world, I see that the carbon dioxide rate is increasing, and energy demand, of course, is increasing. And that's because, without energy, life is brutal and short. So I don't see very much effect in trying to scare people into not using energy, when it is the very basis of how we can live in our society.

O'Brien: so, what about the movie["An Inconvenient Truth"]" do you take issue with, then, Dr. Christy?

Christy: Well, there's any number of things. I suppose, fundamentally, it's the fact that someone is speaking about a science that I have been heavily involved with and have labored so hard in, and been humiliated by, in the sense that the climate is so difficult to understand, Mother Nature is so complex, and so the uncertainties are great, and then to hear someone speak with such certainty and such confidence about what the climate is going to do is--well, I suppose I could be kind and say it's annoying to me.

O'Brien: But you just got through saying that the carbon dioxide levels are up. Temperatures are going up. There is a certain degree of certainty that goes along with that, right?

Christy: Well, the carbon dioxide is going up. And remember that carbon dioxide is plant food in the fundamental sense. All of life depends on the fact carbon dioxide is in the atmosphere. So we're fortunate it's not a toxic gas. But, on the other hand, what is the climate doing. and when we build--and I'm one of the few people in the world that actually builds these climate data sets--we don't see the catastrophic changes that are being promoted all over the place.

For example, I suppose CNN did not announce two weeks ago when the Antarctic sea ice extent reached its all-time maximum, even though, in the Arctic in the North Pole, it reached its all-time minimum.

Angie here: I saw those video clips on all the major news report and the disappearing North Pole. Those poor polar bears without any ice to climb around on. Why didn't anyone tell me that the ANTARCTIC ice was at an all-time high? Sigh.

Consider these tidbits: "As long as the earth remains, there will be planting and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night." Genesis 8:22.

"You, O God, are my king from ages past, bringing salvation to the earth. . . . .You caused the springs and streams to gush forth, and you dried up rivers that never run dry. Both day and night belong to you; you made the starlight and the sun. You set the boundaries of the earth, and you made both summer and winter. " Psalm 74:12-17.

"Praise the name of God forever and ever, for he has all wisdom and power. He controls the course of world events; he removes kings and sets up other kings. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the scholars. He reveals deep and mysterious things and knows what lies hidden in darkness, though he is surrounded by light . . ." Daniel 2;20-21.

In other words, God controls everything on this planet, even the temperature. :-) We are to be responsible stewards, we are to live righteous lives in our spheres of influence, but we're not to fret about climate change. Especially when the One who melts ice in the north turns up the freezer in the south. :-)

~~Angie

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

we have been discussing this "global warming" thing, and all i can say is: well said, angela! i so totally agree with you!

Anonymous said...

Amen. The arrogance of human beings thinking we are so capable of regulating this planet. Give me a break.

Cindy Swanson said...

Wonderful verses, Angela! It's great to be reminded that God is sovereign and in control of everything, including the weather.

Karla Porter Archer said...

Angela - I put a link on my blog today on this very issue. Mine was from 20/20 this past week. Check it out if you get a chance. I thought it spoke volumes!

Blessings,
Karla

Doni Brinkman said...

I am an eye roller on this topic too and I was happy to see your post this morning. I couldn't agree with you more. :)

Leslie said...

My hugest issue with people spouting global warming has been the data. They are only looking at data from the last 100 years or so. Whether you believe that the earth has been around for approx 7,000 years or if you believe its been around for millions of years that is a VERY tiny time frame to make assumptions as to how the earth works.

How do they know its at an all time low? It might have been that low 2000 years ago. Bothers me tremendously.

Anonymous said...

Angie - can't tell you how refreshing this post was this morning! Thank you so much for the informative interview and the beauty and logic that always comes from the scripture. Amen and Amen! Clyde