Friday, April 07, 2006

BOM: Questions and Answers


Photo: Take away the cell phone, and you've got my Pontius Pilate.

Aside: I am in Lynchburg, VA, home of my alma mater, and it's SPRING! Beautiful, chirpy, goldy-green Spring! So lovely.

Questions raised during the BOM week:

1.) Have I read Josephus? Yes. I used his work quite a bit for my research with Magdalene, but the question came in the context of The Shadow Women. Though Flavius Josephus, a Jew, did write about Moses, he wrote at least seventy years after Christ . . . so anything he said about Moses was gleaned from oral tradition and was later reflected in the Midrash, which I did reference in The Shadow Women. I consider his work in the same light that I consider almost all extra-biblical sources--interesting, sometimes useable, but invalid if it contradicts Scripture.

2.) Have I lived in Reno? No. I researched the city, however, for THE NOVELIST.

3.) Are you going to write more historicals? I would love to--I love doing research. But first I'd have to find a publisher who wants them. Contemporaries seem to be in demand right now.

4.) What did you learn about Jesus as a direct result of writing this novel? For the first time, I saw his loving care in the small things--like not requiring the disciples to wash their hands before meals so the women wouldn't have to haul water from the lake. I've always accepted him as God--in writing this, I learned to see his human side, too.

5.)What gems of wisdom have you gained from writing this book? My appreciation for our adopted Hebrew heritage grew deeper. Far too many Christians believe that somehow the Church has replaced Israel, when Paul himself said we have been grafted into their tree. Christianity is the new wine in a new wineskin, but God still has a plan for Israel. When the "time of the Gentiles" has been fulfilled, he will redeem his people. (Zech 12:10-13:9).

6.)Have you read the other Magdalene stories? If so what did you think of them. No--I didn't want to read any of the other Magdalene novels lest I subconsciously copy any of those plot twists.

7.) Was it harder/more stressful to write Magdalene as a commissioned work on a tighter deadline, as opposed to your other novels? What were some of the major differences in this situation?

Hmmm. I think I'm one of those folks who actually works BETTER under pressure. And the sovereign hand of God was at work--I'd just finished my master's class in New Testament (I think I've already mentioned that), so the NT was fresh in my mind and I already had dozens of books at my fingertips. I wish I'd had more time, though--when I handed it in (and I had the same feeling with The Elevator)--I found myself wishing for another week to go through the manuscript yet AGAIN. But of course, I got that chance after I received my editor's comments. And at the point of submission, with all my books, I am so close to the work I'm not a good judge of its merit.

Thanks for joining me this month!

P.S. All right, our talking head has a new name--Catherine! (It was the name on the voice, and it seems to fit.) Thanks for all your input! You can call her "Cathy" if that makes her seem less creepy. (VBG)

~~Angie

7 comments:

T. Suzanne Eller said...

I also love research. I write for teens and parents, but my secret hope is to one day write fiction.

Blessings,

T. Suzanne Eller

Anonymous said...

Catherine is growing on me. I'm a sucker for a British accent.

Angela said...

I'm also a sucker for a British accent. Anything said in a Brit accent somehow sounds more intelligent. :-)

In any case, I did adjust her so that she rattles off her spiel only twice when you refresh the page. Otherwise, she just sits there with her lip zipped. She knows when to keep her mouth shut, too. :-)

Angie

God's Prof said...

Katherine is my wife's name! Cool! Keep up the good work.

Leslie said...

Thanks for answering my question about Josephus...I've past the info on to my friend.

As for the talking head...I keep forgetting about her-and I am at work on my lunch break when I read your blog. She manages to scare me every single time. :)

Anonymous said...

this is off subject, but I just finished reading "The Spear of Tyranny" and it seemed to end kind of abruptly. I was wondering if there were any more books in the series or if that was it. I enjoyed all 3 books very much, just as good as the Left Behind series.

Anonymous said...

This is . . . Sally. Really--not the head now known as Catherine. I just heard about your blog from Terri Gillespie. We're in the same crit group, and she mentioned she'd made your blog so I came to see it!

I just read The Novelist two weeks ago and loved it! What a unique way of looking at God as the author who has every right to do what He wants with us.