Monday, September 01, 2008

For Better or Worse


I can't tell you how many mornings I have cried over my breakfast.  No, not because my Lucky Charms were soggy, but because something Lynn Johnston wrote touched my heart . . . or broke it. 

Lynn writes a comic strip, "For Better or for Worse."  I've been reading it for years, as it progressed in "real time."  I remember when April was born . . . when Farley died (sobbed that morning!), and when Michael sold his first book.  She has dealt with sibling rivalry, elder care, prejudice, and most of all, family love.  Elizabeth just got married, and Lynn Johnston took advantage of that occasion to "retire" her strip . . . though I understand that she's going to begin it again, with a few updated touches here and there.  

The official web site for the strip is here, and it's fascinating.  If you click on the "Meet the Pattersons" tab, you'll see why the strip feel so personal . . . she has developed complete and detailed biographies of all the characters.  

If you don't usually read "For Better or for Worse," here's your chance to begin again . . . at the beginning.  I think you'll love it.  I know I have. 

P.S. Let's pray for the folks along the Gulf shore today . . . we're miles from the hurricane, but our winds are brisk and the skies are gray . . . a definite feeling that there's a monster in the Gulf. 

~~Angie 

7 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

This has always been one of my favorite strips. I hadn't read it in a while though with everything going on so I had to go catch up.

Gustav definitely has everyone's attention, but looks like Hanna might sneak up on Florida before too much longer. What a season.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you on this strip - it has been a favorite of mine for years!

sara said...

This is one of my favorites too..I was sad when we moved here and it wasn't in our comics!! How fun to catch up on the website...thanks!

definitely praying for those in Gustav's path.

Megan DiMaria said...

I wept when the dog died saving the little girl. My husband thought someone we knew passed away until I could tell him it was a fictional dog.

A prisoner of hope,
Megan DiMaria

Patsy Clairmont said...

Okay, don't yell, but this "family" is news to me. I had great fun checking it out and appreciate how you offer links to such fun locations.

I've always thought I'd enjoy doing "cartoon" work...at least in a think-box setting. I love brainstorming!

Anonymous said...

You left out the most important bit of all - Lynn Johnston is CANADIAN.

Christina Tarabochia said...

Yes, Michael selling his book and getting a gi-normous advance = the first time I ever was jealous of a cartoon character.

Can't wait to see you at ACFW!