Monday, October 19, 2009

Let Darkness Come


You may not believe this story, but I promise every word is true. Last Tuesday I was looking forward to another day at the dentist (sigh) and plugging away at a difficult book. As I had my morning quiet time and wrote in my journal, I wrote, "Please, Lord, I could really use some great news today." (And as I wrote, I was thinking of the Publishers Weekly review that might be showing up soon. Maybe--they don't review every book.)

By the time I got back from the dentist, I had an email waiting from my editor, who attached the PW review . . . and it was starred! I danced in a sixty-second wave of jubilation, then I burst into tears. My hubby called and I was still sobbing--and trying to talk though half my mouth was numb. "What's wrong?" he asked.

"It's a writer thing," I blubbered. "I'm okay."

How to explain the self-doubt, the insecurity and uncertainty, especially after a long period of no work at all? All I know was that I felt relief . . . and deep, unwavering gratitude.

Anyway--I think I've stopped blubbering now. And I'm thrilled to be able to share this review with you (because it doesn't contain any spoilers!)

Let Darkness Come Angela Hunt. Mira, $7.99 (384p) ISBN 978-0-7783-2653-3

Hunt (The Face) whips out a shut-the-cellphone-off, cancel-all-appointments legal thriller whose surprise plot twist caroms out of nowhere. When Erin Tomassi is arrested for the murder of her husband, prominent Illinois state senator Jeffrey Tomassi, his powerful father arranges for Erin to be represented by inexperienced attorney Briley Lester. The defense seems hopeless: abused wife, her fingerprints on the murder weapon, no intruders. Even the opening description of the murder leaves the reader convinced of Erin's guilt. But once Hunt's sophistication with plot and character development kicks in, there is no escaping the notion that Erin is indeed innocent and Briley just might get her acquitted with a shocking and elegant final move. Readers will find the story gripping and compelling from start to finish. (Dec.)

~~Angie

13 comments:

Ruthie said...

Woo-hoo!! Congratulations...that's a great review!!

Mocha with Linda said...

Oooh, I can't wait! Congratulations on a fantastic review!

And thanks for your authenticity. Wow, even the incredible Angie Hunt, with all the wonderful books and kudos under her belt, is plagued by self-doubt.

A great reminder to all of us that everyone needs encouragement!

Caitriona said...

You, Angela Hunt are an inspiration!!!!
Thank you for being one of us - human beings.

Leslie said...

That is an awesome review!

One thing that keeps surprising me is the cover - it reminds me so much of the cover for The Face - I had to go to Amazon - they used the same font, etc... which I think is fun!

Erica Vetsch said...

Congratulations! That's a wonderful review! And isn't God's grace amazing that He answered your prayer so promptly?

Connie said...

Can't wait to read it!

Kathy said...

WOW! That's wonderful. I am looking forward to reading it.

SmilingSally said...

Congratulations on yet another winner. However, it does not surprise me as I'm on page 175, and I totally agree with PW.

Anonymous said...

I am not surprised at the starred review--but am soooo happy for you, Angie, and thrilled that God sent balm for your needing heart.

I've been waiting for this book since you shared the opening many months back. Will have to run out and get it. Thanks for another tome!

And--on another subject--my son said to give you kudos and his admiration for having the courage to show Lars and the Real Girl. He and his wife saw it, and he had the same response as you -- but figured most Christians wouldn't like the movie because of the portrayal of some of the church folks. So--multiple KUDOS to you, Angie!! And you deserve many, many more.

Blessings, sister,
Mary Kay

Anonymous said...

So very pleased for you.

Elizabeth M. Thompson said...

Wow! Sounds like a fantastic book! I can't wait to get my hands on it. Popping over to amazon.com now.

Karyn said...

Congratulations! I look forward to it!

Lisa Faye Harman said...

Great review! I'm going to buy this for myself as a Christmas present!