Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Nothing Lasts Longer than a Happy Memory . . .

I'm not quite sure how to begin describing the Re'Gen reunion that took place this past weekend. In some ways it was similar to the Youth Aflame reunion my husband and I attended last year . . . but yet it was also different.

For starters, I didn't really know many of the Re'Gen people all that well. We traveled in different years, and of the 35 people who came together in Orlando, I only traveled with four of them.

But we had so much in common--the music, the philosophy, the experience, the pastor (Derric Johnson)--and most of all, we had Jesus. Plus, we worked HARD on Saturday and Sunday, rehearsing some very difficult music to perform a concert, and there's something that binds people together when they are working hard for a common goal--just ask any football player. :-)

So we met together and prayed and laughed and reminisced, and we sang (what a sound!), and then on Monday morning a few of us stragglers ate breakfast together and shared our hearts . . . and we discovered that all of us (who are now over 50), have other, even more personal things in common as well. And we promised to pray for one another, and we are all looking forward to the next time we come together.

Most of all, what we felt was love--for each other, for the memories of a time when we were younger and the world was different, for the music, for our pastor, and for an attitude that says you never give up, you never stop dreaming, you never stop working for the Kingdom. As Pastor Derric said to us, "What's your encore?"

What's the next idea in your mind? What will you do when this project is completed? My mind has been spinning ever since, and I've felt led to pray for something specific, if the Lord wills.

But as for now, I'm back at work, third-drafting "Passing Strangers," aka "the train story." Still story-forming and polishing, but I'm back in the zone.

Hugs to all!

Angie

5 comments:

Kandi said...

Just a little taste of Heaven, as best as my mind can image, fellowship with and around our Savior! What an amazing relationship!! So glad you had this experience.

Mocha with Linda said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend and reunion. What fun that concert would have been!

It makes me happy to hear that your WIP is that much closer to publication!

Anonymous said...

Angie, I love that you are now a very specific "happy memory". It was a magnificent, overflowing weekend, and I'm looking forward to God's next personal opportunity for me, AND that time in the near future when we all gather again! Thanks for sharing your beautiful memories with your beautiful words!! love and appreciate you...Debbie J.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Angie, for the lovely picture of the body of Christ. Also for sharing the the thought-provoking question: What's your encore?

And welcome "home."

Blessings to you, as you are to us,
Mary Kay

Anonymous said...

I have been computerless for several days and am playing catch-up right now. I don't remember reading whether this was the first reunion for Re'Gen or whether you have done it in the past, but either way it sounds like it was an extraordinary experience for all of you. I can't begin to imagine the thrill of singing again with a group with whom you were so close for such a long time ... recreating those old sounds with others who had the same experience but at different times from yours. What a fabulous cohesive factor the music must have been. I'm so happy for you to have had this weekend "escape". WIsh I could've been there. Will there be a video or recording for us mere mortals? Clyde