Friday, March 10, 2006

A Nugget from the 90 Day Challenge Reading


Something jumped out at me today--I've probably read Matthew a zillion times, but this passage had never stood out to me--it's 13:51-52:

"Have you understood all these things?" Jesus asked.
"Yes," they replied.
He said to them, "Therefore every teacher of the law who has been instructed about the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old."

I'm blogging over on Charis today, and Lisa aptly pointed out that I used a metaphor right after I said I don't often use them. {VBG} Actually, metaphors are some of my Favorite Things, and Jesus used them a lot, too--nouns, strong verbs, and metaphors were his favorite literary devices.

In any case, I looked at the metaphor above and puzzled over it a few minutes. Hmm. I know what it says to me--the religious Jews of Jesus' day who understood what he was saying added new truths to the old ways. They understood that Jesus came to fulfill the law and the prophets, not to destroy them.

It's been very meaningful for me to read at this quick clip--one week I'm reading the prophecies of Jesus, and the very next week I'm seeing those prophecies fulfilled--and Jesus spells it out for me.

Hope you have a great Friday, a restful Sabbath, and a joyous Lord's Day. Tomorrow I'll post that promised explanation of Daniel's dreams.

~~Angie

No comments: