Thursday, November 12, 2009

In Flanders Field . . . our veterans


I'm afraid I'm a day late for Veterans Day, as I was traveling yesterday. But someone reminded me of this poem, so I'd like to share it with you . . . and then send you to read a story about its origin:

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.


Now, visit this website and read the true story of how this memorable poem nearly wasn't published.

A heartfelt "thank you" to all who have given their lives in the defense of freedom not only for this country, but for people around the world. God wants people to be free to live in peace . . . and unfortunately, that often requires bloody resistance to the forces of tyranny.

~~Angie



2 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

A classic.

dellartist said...

What a wonderful post! When I was a child, my mother used to recite that poem to me, she had learned it in school when she was a child - when WW1 was simply called "The War." It is so appropriate now, especially that last stanza. Thanks Angie!