Monday, September 20, 2010

I'm Not Trying to Tease . . .


. . . but I could use some feedback. For the next couple of days, I'm going to give you a little bit from my work in progress. Let's see, how do I describe this one? It's a character novel (meaning that it's more about characters than plot), but I'm still trying to hook the reader, of course, and make things interesting.

This is still pretty rough, as it's not due until Dec. 1 and I'm only at the third draft. So--

Title: PASSING STRANGERS.

Suggested back cover copy:

A train roars over the rails, carrying passengers on a trip that will change their lives. Among the many people moving on and off the 97 Silver Meteor are Tuesday Crystal, a lonely young woman hiding from her youth as a reality TV star; Matthew Scofield, a widower trying to escape his responsibilities to his two young children; and Janette Turlington, a middle-aged mother running from a situation that has destroyed the peace in her home and marriage. These three form a makeshift family on an Amtrak tour through the Southern seaboard, a journey that just might heal their wounded hearts and restore them to the people to whom they matter most . . .


So . . . what do you think? Interested yet?

Tomorrow: the prologue.


~~Angie

10 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

I'd read it.

Snowed-In in Alabama said...

I didn't know how I would feel about a character novel, but I'm intrigued. I'd read it, too.

Mocha with Linda said...

Definitely interests me,

Caitriona said...

We are all a bunch of characters and each person has a story to be told. So, bring on the prologue, Angie, I am interested.

Anonymous said...

Very definitely! Clyde

Anonymous said...

P.S. I think another response of mine got lost in the ether a few days back. I LOVE the new title. It really caught my attention and drew me in. Clyde

Angela said...

Thanks for the feedback! :-) Actually, lots of my other books are character books: THE AWAKENING, the entire Fairlawn series . . . and THE FINE ART OF INSINCERITY, for sure (but you'll have to take my word on that one.)

Appreciate the input!

Doni Brinkman said...

Interested! I love character books. I'd far rather read a book with complex characters and interesting dialogue than one filled with drama and action.

Ruth Ann Dell said...

Oh yes, I'd definitely read this- the blurb has hooked me already as I love character books.

Kay Day said...

You're character books are my favorites. I'm looking forward to this and the Fine Art of Insincerity. :)