Friday, June 01, 2012

Book of the Month: Five Miles South of Peculiar

When it rains, it pours, huh?  For weeks I felt like I didn't have much to blog about, but suddenly I have all kinds of stuff--Glen Eyrie, the Scavenger Hunt, the big Kindle contest, and now, a new release!


So for the next few days I'll be talking about the process of writing FIVE MILES SOUTH OF PECULIAR--I've done it for all my other new releases, I just haven't done it in a while.  So where goes.

WHY did I write this book? How did the idea germinate?  Simple, really.

I was walking down the jetway toward a plane one day and the title came to me--"Five Miles South of Peculiar."  I was probably think it of a person at the time, who knows?  But I knew it would be a good book title, so I jotted it down.

A few days later, while I was writing SHE ALWAYS WORE RED, book two in the Fairlawn series, my protagonist Jennifer was reading a book. What book?  Well, FIVE MILES SOUTH OF PECULIAR worked very well.

So SHE ALWAYS WORE RED came out and life went on, but one day I got a reader letter from a woman who wanted to know where she could get that book Jennifer was reading.  This woman had searched the Internet and couldn't find the book anywhere.

I sheepishly replied and said that it didn't exist--that I made up the title.  But after finishing THE FINE ART OF INSINCERITY and wondering what to write next, the idea came to me--why not write FIVE MILES SOUTH OF PECULIAR?

So I did.  Invented the town of Peculiar, Florida, and away I went.

And that, gentle readers, is how the book came to be born.  :-)

P.S. I'm speaking in Mt. Dora tonight and signing books tomorrow, if you're in the area. Contact the store Barrel of Books and Games for more information.  144 W 5th Ave Mount Dora FL 32757 | 352.735.1950

~~Angie 

4 comments:

Ruth Smith said...

That is so funny Angie. Looking forward to reading it. Really enjoyed the Fairlawn series and the Fine Art of Insincerity.

Carrie said...

I appreciate that you put out a new book in time for my birthday. No my husband does not have to wonder what to get me.

Mocha with Linda said...

I have always loved the title of this book!

Anonymous said...

I love the creative process -- going through it and hearing about the way others approach it.

And I giggled at Carrie's comment. Angie, you are ALWAYS so considerate and kind.

Blessings,
Mary Kay