Thursday, September 07, 2006

BOM: Questions and Answers


Photo: the iUniverse edition of Hartford, designed to keep the series in print
Questions?
Deborah asked: did Gilda ever know that Roberta was her real mother? and maybe I'm just remembering wrong, but if Taregan took over Daniel's identity, do his kids ever know this b/c in Rehoboth i seem to recall he's referred to only as Daniel.
Deborah, it's really hard to remember! I don't think Gilda ever knew much about her history because she was so young when she was taken away--she would only have know what the other boys would tell her, and I'm not sure even the other boys knew that Roberta was her biological mother.
And no, Taregan selflessly spent his life "redeeming" Daniel's reputation. He was Daniel from that time forward--pretty magnanimous of him, wasn't it? Some might say he was selfish and didn't want the switch to be discovered, but I know his heart. (VBG)
Had a wonderful trip to Chicago these last two days, and learned so much from reading Francine Prose's new book, READING LIKE A WRITER.
And now a question from me: about the WIP--"Fairlawn" has always been the series name in my mind's eye, and I'm not even sure we're going to put the series name on the books. Instead I'm thinking of using things people typically say at funerals.
So far the three tentative titles I have are:
Doesn't She Look Good?
Receiving Friends from 3 to 4
and
In Lieu of Flowers
What do you think? Can you think of any other little phrases people are always saying at funerals? I like these three particularly because they can work in more than one way . . . and thanks to Becky and Karen at Tyndale for brainstorming with me!
~~Angie

6 comments:

Christy D. said...

I really like the "In Lieu of Flowers" title- there's SO much you could do with that throughout the book. My only other thought so far would be something having to do with valleys. It just seems like I've heard a lot of "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death . . ." at funerals- even when the deceased isn't necessarily Christian. Just a thought- but maybe too morbid? I'll let you know if anything else comes to mind. Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the answers! I like the titles of the books. Unfortuantely I haven't been to funerals much so I can't help out there.
Good news though is I FINALLY got Uncharted from the library so I'll be starting on that soon!

Anonymous said...

Funeral/obit sayings:

And she just received a clean bill of health!

And her recent test results were negative!

Gone but not forgotten

Visitation Tonight from 6 to 8

May he rest in peace

Burial will follow the service

To cherish her memory: a husband and two daughters

Online condolences: Web site

He is survived by his wife

Preceded in death by her father

Survivors include two daughters

Survived by his devoted wife of 49 years

Predeceased by her son

Home to be with the Lord

Someone sent an arrangement to my grandmother's funeral on one of those funeral tripods. It had a plastic telephone on it and a banner that said, "Heaven Called."

Anonymous said...

I like "In Lieu of Flowers", too.

Anonymous said...

My favorite is "In lieu of flowers"!

Ruth said...

I love those potential book titles!