Sunday, October 15, 2006

Nichole Nordeman


A few years ago I traveled a bit with the Women of Faith team. That's where I met and heard Nichole Nordeman for the first time. Nichole is a lovely young lady who sings like an angel, but it was her music that blew me away. She's a true lyricist, and her words are not only profound and lovely, but they are spiritually deep and show real maturity.

She charmed us all with stories of how she bought a "space bag"--you know, those plastic bag vacuum gizmos shown on TV that can flatten a comforter to a pancake?--and got a little carried away, then she sang songs that just brought me to tears. Even now, I love to start work with a couple of Nichole's songs--they lift me right up to the throne room of heaven.

Here are a couple of the songs that move me to the center of my being (well, snippets from the songs):

From "Tremble:"

Have I come too casually? Because it seems to me
There's something I've neglected
How does one approach a Deity with informality
And still protect the Sacred?
Oh, let me not forget to tremble . . .

This one, "Legacy," is so convicting:

I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
And you could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all the Who's Who's and So-and-So's
That used to be the best at such and such
It wouldn't matter much

I want to leave a legacy,
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love?
Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things . . .
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace
Who blessed Your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy . . .

And finally, this is now my favorite worship song. So simple, so elegant and profound--"Holy":

How many roads did I travel
Before I walked down one that led me to You?
And how many dreams did unravel
Before I believed in a hope that was true?
How long? How far?
What was meant to fulfill only emptied me still
And all You ever wanted . . .

Only me, on my knees, singing Holy, holy
And somehow all that matters now is You are Holy, Holy . . .

If you haven't heard Nichole, be sure to check out her music. You'll be blessed. (All songs above written by Nichole Nordeman.)

~~Angie

No comments: