Friday, February 12, 2010

Ice Castles Redux


One of my favorite movies is ICE CASTLES, an old movie from the late 70's, I think. They're just released a new version (just in time for the winter Olympics), and I watched it last night. I have to admit that this is a more family-friendly version, but it lacks the emotional depth of the original . . . I always cry buckets in the original, and I think I shed about two tears in the remake.

The writer in me wonders why the difference, and it wasn't because I missed the swear words. It was because they cut a subplot that dealt with the extreme mental pressures involved in such high stakes competition . . . and as any writer knows, the higher the stakes, the more involving the story.

In any case, it's still a fine film, and one you can show to your children (the new version). If you love ice skating, you ought to check out ICE CASTLES.

~~Angie

5 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

I remember enjoying that movie when I was in high school. I'll have to look for this one!

Looking forward to the figure skating in the Olympics!

Kay Day said...

The very first time I went ice skating was in the same rink where they filmed that original movie. It was the old World Arena. It's no longer there.
I remember liking parts of the movie. I should watch it again as an adult and see what I think.

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

Brenda J said...

Alot of this movie was filmed in the city where I live, Halifax, NS. And the hospital scene where they did the CAT Scan was filmed in the dept where I work. In fact the CT technologist in the scene is one of my co-workers.
I loved the old version too. I must check out the new one. At least to see if I can spot Caroline.

Melissa said...

I LOVED the original movie. I wasn't able to catch the recent version,so did they keep the original song? I had the song for a voice lesson presentation and although I enjoyed the song,after having to hit the opening first note a billion times, it just wasn't the same again.LOL "Please don't let this feeling end..."