Monday, May 30, 2011

New York, Day 2


Our second day in New York was actually devoted to work. Terri and I both planned to visit BEA, which is the BIG bookseller's convention, so we hopped into a taxi and rode over to the Javits Center, where the convention was held. I met the publicist for Howard, who was kind enough to meet me with my badge (no gets into the convention without one), while Terri went off to a meeting with her agent.

If you've ever been to any type of large trade convention, I'm sure the experience is similar. Booth after booth of book publishers of every ilk--e book publishers, traditional book publishers, subsidy book publishers (you pay them to publish your work). A few celebrities sprinkled here and there through the mix, as anyone with a name seems to want to write a book (or hire a ghost to do it) these days. After wandering the floor for about half an hour, I went and got my diet Coke and sat at a table to read the trade publication. Among all the celebrity books, one in particular caught my eye: THINK: STRAIGHT TALK FOR WOMEN TO STAY SMART IN A DUMBED-DOWN WORLD.


Lisa Bloom (Author)

Ah--I think I need to read a copy. Why is it that today's women are smarter than ever, but if you put a group in a room, we end up talking about liposuction and weight problems? Hmmm.

After leaving BEA, Terri and I taxied down to the Southport Pier to see the BODY exhibit. I'd seen it before, in St. Pete or Tampa, but enjoyed seeing it again.

And after the pier, we rode the subway (always an adventure for us suburbanites) up to Lincoln Center, where we were going to the matinee for WAR HORSE. (Watch the trailer at this link.)

Words simply cannot do justice to this extraordinary play. I was two chapters into the slender book (kept trying to read in public places--not a good idea, because I kept crying), and during the play I practically sobbed. The theatre was a huge horse shoe shape, which allowed us to be only a few feet from the action. As I watched the play, I was able to look across the stage to see the audience on the other side of the theater--and there was barely a dry eye in sight. A wonderful, horrible play about love and war and family and the sensitivity of animals. If it comes to your area, you must see it, and if you're heading to New York, this one belongs at the top of your "to see" list. Trust me.

After the play, feeling rather wiped out, we ate dinner in the area and rode the subway home. We always managed to find the right subway, but we frequently popped up on the wrong street, and ended up walking several blocks to return to our hotel. So we finally made it back to our room, thoroughly spent.

An inspiring day. Oh, to write something as moving and true as War Horse . . .

~~Angie

1 comment:

Kathleen Lewis said...

Anything on stage that brings tears is worth seeing. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.