Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Meet Tricia Goyer and her latest book!


I'm happy to tell you about my friend Tricia Goyer's latest historical novel. A Whisper of Freedom is book three in The Chronicles of the Spanish Civil War series. Battles heat up…not only those being waged by the soldiers on both sides fighting for Spain, but in the hearts and minds of the men and women who must sacrifice more than their dreams to save the lives of their loved ones.

In this meticulously researched novel, brave and idealistic Sophie, Philip, Jose, and Deion realize their only hope for freedom is escaping Spain's borders.

By continuing the story of this band of volunteers during the Spanish Civil War, A Whisper of Freedom proves that there are whispers of hope and liberty that resonate through even the darkest night.

Q and A with Tricia

Q. A Whisper of Freedom is Book #3. Did the story wrap up like you expected?
 
A. Good question, I'd have to say yes ... and no. The basic plots points that I envisioned at the beginning of the series still happened. It was the characters that had minds on their own. They did things, said things, were involved in things that I didn't suspect when I started the series. It was exciting and fun to write!
 
Q. A Whisper of Freedom ends with Europe on the verge of WWII. Are you going to continue the series?
 
A. I'd love to! But ... I have no current contract to do so. I would LOVE to see what happens to Philip and Sophie and Jose and others during the war. I have a feeling there would me more spying, more intrigue, and more ways God uses ordinary people in extraordinary ways.
 
Q. Who is your favorite character in A Whisper of Freedom?
 
A. Are you kidding? That's like asking which kid I love best. Each of them are unique and special :) 
 
Q. There are some very interesting plot twists concerning stolen gold. Is this gold completely fictional?
 
A.  It's true! While I was researching for novel #1 I read about gold that was stored in the bank vaults of Madrid. Before The Spanish Civil War broke out Spain had the fourth largest gold reserves in the world. Afraid that the Nationalist would conquer Madrid and take the gold, they used it to buy arms and troops from the Soviet Union. The gold was transported by ship to Russia, but the amount that left the vaults and the amount that arrive in Russia is a different quantity. I found the "missing" gold to be a good opportunity to wrap my story around.
 
Q. Have you gotten any feedback from your story?
 
A. Yes, so far the early reviewers have been pleased. I've gotten comments that they story surprised and pleased them with the various twists. Also, many, many people appreciate that I brought this part of history to life.
 
Q. What does your writing day look like?
 
A. Every day is completely different. With kids, and homeschooling, and appointments, and shopping, and church, and (the most important) family activities, each day is different. Actually ... that's not completely true. There are a few things I do first every day ... no matter what's going on. I always have quiet time in the morning--Bible reading, prayer, journaling. I always have a time of prayer and Bible reading with my husband, John. And I try to exercise. If I'm not running out the door, I spend 30 minutes on my exercise bike and I read as I pedal.
 
Q. What is your favorite part about writing fiction?
 
A. I have a few favorite parts. I love researching. I love really, really digging in and giving my characters deep motivations, needs, and desires. I also love being "there"--which is getting so caught up in the fictional world that it's as if these characters are real, and I'm really there.
 
Q. You've written seven historical novels now--four about World War II and three about The Spanish Civil War. Would you ever consider writing a contemporary novel?
 
A. Actually, I've done it. I'm working on contemporary novels for Guideposts, as part of a continuing series called Home to Heather Creek. I wrote novel #2 titled Sweet September. It will be out the end of June. I had a great time, and I'm exciting to be writing more contemporary novels in the future.
 
Q. Do you have any more historical novels in the work?
 
A. Yes, actually I'm working on a historical, action-packed spy novel with my friend, Mike Yorkey, titled The Swiss Courier. Having a Swiss wife, Mike adds a nice International flavor to the books. He's also great writing action scenes. Think Mission Impossible set in WWII.
 
Q. He has his own Swiss Miss!  (I crack myself up!)  Have any of your novels been translated into other languages?
 
A. Yes. Some have been translated into German and all of them in Dutch. What's really cool is that I've heard they're "best-sellers" in Dutch. I'm ready for a trip to Holland!
 
Q. What advice do you have for those who want to write historical fiction?
 
A. First of all, reading LOTS of historical fiction and figure out what you like best and why. Second, read books on writing fiction ... as many as possible. Third, write, write, write. Give yourself goals and stick to them. Fourth, attend a writer's conference. I highly recommend the American Christian Fiction Writer's Conference (www.acfw.com) and Mt. Hermon Christian Writer's Conference. The workshops are great. The teachers are amazing. And meeting other writers is one of the best things you can do to further your career.

I have to put in a plug for both conferences, as I'll be teaching at both of them in this coming year.  In fact, Mt. Hermon is just around the corner!  Thanks, Tricia, for stopping by. 

If you're interested, you can order Tricia's book here

~~Angie
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just want to comment about previous blog. I have not read any of your books that I didn't have a problem putting it down. Therefore, if I have housework or anything else I really must do - I do not start one of your books. I have yet to master the art of holding a vacuum, dust cloth, dish cloth, or anything else in one hand while holding your book in the other.
(Hope to see you next month.)