Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Rain Barrel

I'm excited to share this link with you.   It's a telephone conversation with yours truly and Genie Francis about The Note 2:  Taking a Chance on Love. We recorded it just before Mother's Day.  Listen and enjoy! 

Photo: 
This has been an on-going saga on my facebook page, but I don't think I've mentioned it on my blog. Several weeks ago I decided to become water-wise and install a rain barrel. I spent about a week researching them on the Internet--should I make one or buy one? Buy a fancy, pretty one, or buy an old jug? What to do, what to do . . .

And then my husband saw some plain rain barrels advertised at a local nursery. Sixty-five gallons! With a screened cover! I hopped into the car and took off to get it. I installed it myself, using kitchen shears and pliers to cut the downspout to fit.

And then I waited. And waited. And waited. I decided that I'd run outside at the first sign of rain to celebrate the filling of the rain barrel . . .

And finally, almost four weeks later, it rained. Only a little the first day, but a deluge the second day. We had so much rain, in fact, that my rain barrel overflowed. Now I'm wondering if maybe I should get two . . .

~~Angie

3 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

Enjoyed the interview!

So what will you do with the rain barrel water? Water the lawn? Wash your hair?!

Kay Day said...

Yay! A picture of the famous rain barrel.
Since there's a screen, no Palmetto bugs.

Angela said...

I don't have much lawn in that part of the backyard to water, Linda, so I plan on using it to water the potted plants. :-) There's not a hose spigot nearby, so this will save me from having to unwind the hose at the front of the house and haul it through the gate in order to water my potted plants on the back porch. And if there's a hurricane, we may end up drinking it. :-)

angie