Saturday, October 22, 2005

Jesus is My Boss . . . what does that mean?


Ever been this tired? LOL.

I've been traveling a lot lately and speaking to elementary and middle school students about life, God, and writing. There's a line in my standard speech that goes like this:

"When I was six years old, I gave my life to Jesus. And I knew what it meant, and I knew what I was doing, and I knew that from that day forward, Jesus was to be the boss of my life."

All true. But--lately, as I've fielded questions about my goals and dreams, I find myself wondering if I even have a right to goals and dreams. Oh, I know that sounds unAmerican. Unnatural. But, if we really think about it, if you surrender your life to Christ, doesn't that mean the right to those goals and dreams belongs to him?

The premise of my standard school speech is that I never dreamed of being a writer--and that's true. But God led me down some interesting paths to bring me where I am today. Expect the unexpected? For sure I never expected to be here. But God is good, and though I haven't been perfect, I really have tried to let him dream and plan for me.

So . . . what are my dreams? Well, it'd be nice to have a best seller and to retire in North Carolina and hold a grandbaby or two, but that's okay--I'm not set on any of those things. It's enough to face each day with the hope and prayer that I'll fulfill HIS dreams and plans for my day . . . nothing more, nothing less.

I'm about to make a huge decision that will affect the next few years of my life and career. So it's a good thing the Lord has brought this to my mind lately. It's not about me, my career, promotion of my books. It's all about him. Whatever he wants . . . and can I say that even if his plan includes a book that bombs?

Big breath. That, my friend, is the challenge of the Christian writer's life.

P.S. Happy birthday to my sister, Gay.

Angie

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Angie, great post. And thanks for plugging my site yesterday. You were a huge hit! The strange artistes loved you. I love your attitude about accomplishing what God has for you each day, no more, no less. It is so awesome to be in His hands. I had an unexpected blow the other day. I freaked for a few minutes (many a bit longer :) and then remembered God has a plan for me. A better plan than I could imagine for myself. I got over the shock and said, "God, what do you have up your sleeve?" Ain't be in His capable hands grand?
I'll say a prayer about your big decision. That you get a clear answer from above. Blessings to you!

Anonymous said...

I've had the same thoughts on my mind lately. And I keep thinking of the lyrics to an Avalon song . . . the chorus (sung from God's perspective): "These dreams I dream for you are deeper than the ones you're clinging to; more precious than the finest things you do; and truer than the treasures you pursue. Let the old dreams die like stars that fade from view, and take the cup I offer and drink deeply of the dreams I dream for you."