Thursday, October 20, 2005

New books, new books


Ah, a red letter day. If you hold to the analogy that a new book is like a new baby, then the picture at the left is my first sonogram. (VBG). The cover of UNCHARTED, due out in June 2006. What's it about? I like to describe it as "LOST" meets "The Big Chill."

And there are two other new books on my desk. The first is a nonfiction book called Not In Kansas Anymore: A Curious Tale of How Magic Is Transforming America. I've not yet read it, but after a quick skim, I'm thinking it should be called How America Is Trying to Trust Anything and Everything but God.
I'm thinking about setting it out for my book club; should make an interesting faith-discussion. It also looks like it'd be helpful for anyone who writes about the occult, etc.

The other new book on my desk is Jane Smiley's 13 Ways of Looking at the Novel. Now this is a book to ponder--it looks so dense and lush that I think I'll be doing well to read/digest a chapter a day--or even half a chapter. Can't wait to dig into it.

Well, this is "telephone day"--for some reason I have scheduled four telephone appointments today: two conference calls and two long-distance book clubs. I'm so rarely on the telephone, this will be interesting! And tonight--Alias! I certainly hope this season five picks up. So far it's been a bit of a snooze, but I'll hang in there for at least a while.

Shalom!
Angie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am actually a fan of yours. I don't have my own blog site. I actually would not even know how to begin one. My former pod partner is a Wiccan and she is really into it. What is so compelling of where it is taking place. I live in a state that has been called the Vatican of the West. She states Wiccan is #2 for growth in this state. I am thinking she is exaggerating the growth. I got my Crossings catalog one of the books is called Bewitched. It talks about how Wiccan is the fastest growing religion across college campuses. What blew me out of the water was she said one of her coven members calls herself a New Age Christian. I belong to a faith that is rarely considered "Christian." It rarely bothers me because I know who to look to for my redemption and it is his blood that cleanses me. I guess what alarms me the most is my faith is known for its ability to share the message of their faith. They have nothing on the Wiccans ability to bring new members in. I have personally witnessed in the short amount of time she had been on my team. She had brought three other women on my team into her coven. This is a faith that seduces. I think this is a faith that cannot be taken lightly. One of the first things she told me Satan is not real. She then tells me it is something Christians made up. It is a frightening thing to be this up close and personal and witness it.