Monday, October 03, 2005

Well, it had to happen. Once again real life--well, TV real life--imitates art.

Not so many years ago I wrote a story about the first woman president--a woman who's VP and becomes president when the acting president dies from an aortic aneurysm. (Sound familiar?) And no one really wanted her to be president, but now that she is, she's determined to make her mark on the world.

My book was called The Justice, and it's still available on Amazon.com. And sure, Geena Davis could play Daryn Austin (the president in my book). I think the characters are made of similar stuff.

My book was actually based on the true story of Henry II and Thomas a Beckett. If you know the story, you'll know they were great friends until Henry tapped Thomas to be the bishop of Canterbury--mainly because Henry was having trouble with the church and he wanted someone in the church to be firmly in his pocket. But then Thomas had a true experience with God, and he decided not to play ball with Henry anymore.

The best scene in the play and movie Becket in the one in which Henry looks up at a group of his knights and says, "Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?"

I have Daryn Austin say pretty much the same thing. She's president, and she's been having trouble with the Supreme Court, so she appoints her lover to the court . . . and is put out when he has a real experience with a living God. And then . . . well, I won't spoil the story for you.

Shalom!

Angie, off to celebrate a "catch up" day now that I'm back in my office

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angela how many words a day do you try to write?

Anonymous said...

Angela - I am so glad you didn't give anything away! I'm in the middle of The Justice (just finished the chapter where Paul arrives at the White House and they rekindle their relationship) and would hate to have the ending spoiled! I watched the premiere of Commander in Chief last week and was telling my hubby how similar it is to your book.

Anonymous said...

More similarities -- this time in the news. Pres. Bush's nominee for the Supreme Court is one of his own legal advisors with no judicial experience.

Angela said...

I noticed the same thing, Carrie--and Ms. Miers is Bush's White House counsel, which is what Paul Santana was . . .

(theme from the Outer Limits plays) . . .

Interesting developments.

Angie