Wednesday, December 03, 2008

BOM: The Research


My first inclination for research was to travel to Egypt . . . but since I often travel alone on research trips, that didn't seem like such an appealing idea.  So I decided to travel to London instead, because the British Museum has an incredible array of ancient Egyptian artifacts.  Plus, I was also working on books set in England/Ireland, so I could do a lot of research in only one trip. 

In writing biblical fiction, it'd be a mistake to read only Bible-based books.  I read those, of course, lots of commentaries and the like, but I also read books by Jewish rabbis and Muslim authors. I didn't agree with everything I read, but seeing Joseph/Yosef through the eyes of these authors helped to sharpen my own way of thinking. 

I devoured all things Egyptian, learning about their clothing, their music, their art, their customs, religion, and philosophy. I visited museums and took lots of pictures.  It was truly a fascinating period in history. 

One tricky problem was the timeline.  At one point Scripture says that the people of Israel were in Egypt for 430 years, and if you take that time literally, it's hard to find a place where Joseph fits AND Moses fits.  Either Joseph falls too early, before the arrival of the Hyksos, or Moses falls too late. 

I found the answer--a delightful one that fits with literal Scripture and with the historical timeline.  And you'll find the answer spelled out in the interview in the back of the book.  :-)  

Whatever research I did, I used the Bible as my "plumb line" for truth whenever the so-called "experts" didn't agree on a matter.  And I came away pleased and satisfied with the result. 

Tomorrow: the writing.  And don't forget to enter the bookbag giveaway contest described below! 

~~Angie 

5 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

Wow. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

SmilingSally said...

The MASSIVE research shows in your writing. That's why it rings "true."

Sarah said...

I love Egypt (got to go there in 2004) and your Joseph series is one of my favorites. My poor books are falling apart from reading them so much. :)

Mocha with Linda said...

As I've said, I loved the book. And I loved reading the explanatory interview/info in the back as well.

Anonymous said...

one of the many reasons why i love your books--i know that they are well researched! this was such a great series!
jan