Friday, December 26, 2008

Marley and Me--the movie


Yesterday the hubby and I slipped out to watch the movie "Marley and Me."  Our book club had read the book and loved it, so I was anxious to see if the movie lived up to the book. 

I am happy to report that it does.  But warning--bring a box of tissues.  I knew I'd cry, of course--I started weeping at the first shot of all those adorable puppies in a pen--but by the end of the movie everyone in the theater was sniffling.  It's a true story based on the misadventures of Marley, a golden lab owned by newspaper columnist John Grogan.  

In any case, the movie is more about the formation of a family than the dog per se, but if you've ever loved a dog, you'll adore this film.  If you can find some time during this Christmas season, this is worth going to see.  Just don't forget those tissues.  

Enjoy!

~~Angie 

11 comments:

sara said...

we had planned to go out to a movie yesterday, but they day slipped away to a huge family dominoes game!!!

Thanks for the tip. looks like a great movie!

SmilingSally said...

Thanks for the heads-up. I am a dog lover, so I'll be going. Maybe tomorrow as today is a no-go.

Mocha with Linda said...

When I read the review yesterday, I thought "This is an Angie Hunt movie!"

Lisa said...

We were divided in our annual Christmas day theater choice. My husband diplomatically told the kids they could see "Bedtime Stories", he would see "The Day the Earth Stood Still", and I could see whatever I wanted. In an effort to keep some semblance of unity, I went and saw his flick. I really wanted to see Marley though :) Maybe I can find a girlfriend who will want to go see it with me.

Anonymous said...

I just can't. I'm in tears just reading your comments.
Having to put our last dog down . . . well, it just still hurts, and it's been a few years.

Anonymous said...

I was so disappointed with the movie! The book was superb, but the movie was so blatantly looking for tears that I resented it, even as I complied. My recommendation is to re-read the book instead!

Anonymous said...

I was so disappointed with the movie! The book was superb, but the movie was so blatantly looking for tears that I resented it, even as I complied. My recommendation is to re-read the book instead!

Lara Moore said...

I went to see it tonight at the request of one of my best friends. My sister & I now both want to read the book. We LOVED this movie. Any movie that makes me laugh & cry, & occasionally at the same time, has my vote!

Anonymous said...

I thought the book was excellent. However, like most everyone else, I sobbed at the end. Therefore, I'm passing on the movie. Maybe I'll get it on DVD from Netflix when it comes out, so I can sob in privacy, and then again, maybe not. I know how it ends.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Anonymous said...

I had planned to see this movie until my family in FL saw it. They cried. My mom told me to WAIT because I just had one of my dear cats die two days before Thanksgiving. I might have to wait until this one comes out on DVD.

Terri L. Gillespie said...

The movie was great! The guy sitting next to me--big trucker-kind-of-guy--was crying like a baby. Of course my sobbing was most lady-like.

I was impressed with Owen Wilson and Jennifer Anniston--they did a great job playing normal people. Also, I loved that part of it was filmed in Philly and Chadds Ford area.