Friday, January 02, 2009

These are the things that fascinate me . . .


Was reading the paper the other day and found a photo of a couple in Colorado Springs.  A pediatric neurosurgeon removed a brain tumor from their baby boy's head . . . and found a foot and other body parts inside the tumor. 

Wow.  I'm thinking (and I'm no medical expert) that this may have been part of an undeveloped twin, sometimes known as fetus in fetu.  A similar situation actually has given me an idea for a novel that's not out yet . . . but it's coming. :-) 

Another article informed me that an appeals court turned down a request for a new trial from a former Washington, D.C. judge who sued his dry cleaner for 54 MILLION DOLLARS because they lost his pants. 

I mean--really!  What were those pants made of, spun gold?  Fifty-four MILLION DOLLARS?  

The paper said three appellate judges agreed Pearson failed to show the store's advertising  (they had a sign saying 'satisfaction guaranteed') was fraudulent. But he can still ask the entire nine-judge appellate court to review the case or appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court. 

Has our judicial system gone nuts?  I'm just sayin' . . . fifty four million dollars?  Judges should know better. 

~~Angie 

11 comments:

SmilingSally said...

I agree that the judicial system is wacky, but dry cleaners can ruin or lose your clothing and just smile. Nothing seems happens to them.

Kathy Cassel said...

I'm thinking maybe $154 if they were a nice pair of dress pants!

Anonymous said...

I am utterly fascinated by the story of the baby's brain tumor. It gives a whole new angle to what tumors are. When I was younger I always loved to read the section in the comics from Ripley's "Believe it or not". Maybe it still runs in newspapers, but I haven't seen it in years. I can hardly wait to see what you do with this story, Angie. Clyde

Kay Day said...

That tumor is fascinating.

I remember the pants story from the first time he tried to sue. Ridiculous. And he was a judge....

Mocha with Linda said...

Like Kay, I remember when the "pants suit" (sorry! couldn't resist!) started a few years ago and the judge suing is beyond belief. This wasn't a national chain dry cleaners, but a private family-owned cleaners.

The tumor is fascinating. And I'm sure your book will be even more so!

Momstheword said...

When I was about 13, I had a dermoid cyst (ovarian teratoma) which contained tissues from hair, teeth, and/or skin. Back then they thought I was supposed to have been a twin. I don't know if that's still the thinking or not.

Anonymous said...

i have seen pictures of this baby's "brain tumor." it does look like a twin that never fully developed. i can't wait to read your book on this concept when it is published! it will definitely be another great novel!
jan

Ginger said...

I wonder if anyone has tried to find out what makes the suing judge such an angry, vindictive guy. If they have, I've not seen it in the news....

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen this story of this baby's tumor, but I've seen other stories about similar tumors. Can't wait to see what you do with this! A fiction writer's mind is a fanscinating thing! :-)

Anonymous said...

Isn't that new thriller movie, "Unborn" based on a similar concept (fetus in fetu)? Fascinating....

Unknown said...

Angela,

Just saw this commercial on TV for a new movie coming out...The Unborn. It's on this same topic. Check movie theaters or the Internet for more info.

If you were to write a book on it, I'd read it..not sure about watching the movie from the trailers that I've seen...to scary.