Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Kindle books for kids


I have LOT of out of print children's books. I have mixed feelings about them--I like them, because I like kids, but I wrote them YEARS ago, so when I look at them, I see a lot of things I do differently now. (If you've been in one of my writing classes, you know what I mean.)

Years ago, I'd have laughed if you'd told me that children would one day carry cell phones, but nearly all the kids in our youth department carry them now. So I'm not laughing at the idea that Kindles are for kids, too. So when I finish my WIP, I'm going to take a couple of months to edit and "kindle-ize" many of my books for children so they'll be available in the Kindle store. I should make them available in other eformats, too . . . . but I'm going to have to figure out how to do that. :-)

Our local high school was the first school in the country to give all their students Kindles instead of books. Sales of ebooks are up over 150 percent; sales of hardback books are down about forty percent. Do you see a trend here?

I don't think paper books will ever die--books live forever in used bookstores. But ebooks are so much more convenient and so much cheaper to produce. So if you don't have an ebook reader . . . . you probably will. :-)

~~Angie

3 comments:

Erynn said...

Wow! That cover is 80s-tastic! I love it! Good luck with the edits. It's a message that kids need today more than ever.

Mocha with Linda said...

Wow. What a technologically advanced school to give the Kindles! It certainly would help the backpack load!

Unknown said...

Angie, I think this is a great idea. My nine-year-old daughter is very interested in using my Kindle, and she loves to read. It would be a relief to lead her to quality books like yours. The digital publishing platform is here and will only grow. I want her to learn from authors who really care about children as she transitions to this new world. Best wishes.