Thursday, July 15, 2010

Day One of the Great Ten Day Train Trip

Photo: that's the spy museum behind me. Below: Chinatown.

We did it. Ginger and I met in Tampa, and we flew to D.C. Arrived at about 2 p.m. and we finally arrived at our hotel about three.

Murphy's Law promptly asserted itself. I had booked our hotel room with award points, and even though I had a reservation, a confirmation, and had already paid with my points, I was told that we couldn't check in unless I had an award certificate.

Well . . . I didn't have one. I've never had to have one before . . .

Fortunately, the nice young man at the desk let me go into the business center next door, where we downloaded and printed out a copy of the reservation. We were good to go.

We took off to explore the city, and quickly found that we were on the edge of Chinatown. And then we discovered the SPY MUSEUM. Oh! I hope we'll have time to visit that tomorrow, but we also want to see the Holocaust Museum. We might not be able to get into that, though, because I hear it's very busy in the summertime and requires a pass . . . and we don't have one.

And then we'll be at Starbucks from 3 to 4 p.m., just in case anyone wants to drop by and say hello. It's the Starbucks at 800 7th Street NW in Washington, D.C. We'd love to see you!

It's hot here--so hot that this Floridian is struggling to cope. But lots of air conditioned stopping places, thank heaven.

~~Angie

9 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

The spy museum sounds interesting. might find it's way into a book???

Kathy Cassel said...

*its* not it's!

Joyce H. said...

Hey Angie,
Can't wait to get all your updates. Looks like a great first day! Have a blast!

Mocha with Linda said...

Oh what fun! I am green with envy!

Debbie said...

This sounds like a wonderful trip--I'll be reading EVERYDAY! See you at Starbucks when you reach Charleston next week. :o) Dazer Debbie

Linda G said...

The gate at Chinatown looks quite a bit like the one we have here in Portland. If you don't make it to the Holocaust museum maybe you can go to the one in Israel.

Leslie said...

I'm jealous! I've heard of the spy museum before - some online friends have gone to it and had a blast. I've always wanted to go since then.

Anonymous said...

Now I'm anxious to learn more about the spy museum-esp. after the recent news.....Hope you comment more about it...Have a great trip & I'll look forward to reading upcoming blog entries!!!

Sara E. James said...

The Holocaust Museum is a must-see, but if you ever get to go, be forewarned that it is a day in itself. I have spent four hours in there and not been able to see all that there is to see - even though I have been there 3-4 times. I highly recommend seeing it at some point.